●Periodic Labour Force Survey(PLFS) 2018-19
•National Statistical Office (NSO) released the Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) for July 2018 to June 2019.
1. India’s unemployment rate fell to 5.8% during 2018-19 from 6.1% during the same period of 2017-18
2. The urban unemployment rate reduced to 7.7% from 7.8%.
3. The rural unemployment reduced to 5% from 5.3%
4. The labour force participation rate rose to 37.5% during 2018-19 from 36.9% of 2017-18.
5. The female participation rate also improved going up to 18.6% in 2018-19 from 17.5% the year before
•Unemployment was a concern in 2019 and it worsened in 2019-20 due to Covid-19.
[According to the monthly Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy data, the unemployment rate in India shot up from 7.87% in June 2019 to 23.48% in May 2020.]
▪️Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS)
•PLFS is India’s first computer-based survey launched by the National Statistical Office (NSO) in 2017.
•It has been constituted based on the recommendation of Amitabh Kundu.
▫️PLFS has two fold objective:
1. To estimate the key employment and unemployment indicators (viz. Worker Population Ratio, Labour Force
2. Participation Rate, Unemployment Rate) in the short time interval of three months for the urban areas only in the Current Weekly Status (CWS).
•To estimate employment and unemployment indicators in both usual status and CWS in both rural and urban areas annually.
•Before PLFS the NSSO (previous name of NSO) used to bring the data related to employment and unemployment based on its quinquennial household socio-economic survey programme
▪️National Statistical Office
•NSO is the central statistical agency of the Government mandated under the Statistical Services Act 1980 under the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
•It is responsible for the development of arrangements for providing statistical information services to meet the needs of the Government and other users for information on which to base policy, planning, monitoring and management decisions.
•The services include collecting, compiling and disseminating official statistical information.
•All business operations in NSO are done in compliance with international standards, procedures and best practices