•These Russian-origin tanks are the Indian Army’s main battle tanks.
•Indian Army recently deployed them in the Galwan Valley sector of Ladakh amid the face-off with Chinese troops.
•Recently, the Ministry of Defence has signed Rs. 557 crore contract with the BEML Limited (formerly known as the Bharat Earth Movers Limited) for the procurement of 1,512 mine ploughs for T-90 Tanks.
[The induction is expected to be completed by 2027.]
•Mine ploughs help tanks to clear minefields and minimize risks to men and machines.
(After being fitted on T-90 Tanks, they will facilitate individual mobility to the tanks while negotiating a minefield)
•The mobility of the tank fleet will enhance manifolds which in turn would extend the reach of the armoured formations deep into enemy territory without becoming a mine casualty.
•The decision is expected to boost the government’s ‘Make in India’ initiative.
As per the procedure, the contract has Buy and Make (Indian) categorisation with a minimum of 50% indigenous content in the Make portion
•It was established in 1964 as a Public Sector Undertaking (PSU).
•It has partially disinvested and presently the Government of India owns 54% of total equity and the rest 46% is held by public and financial institutions, foreign institutional investors, banks and employees.
•The company operates under three major business verticals viz. Mining and Construction, Defence and Rail and Metro.